COSMIX & Ample Bytes Back

Roy Follett
Having heard, about five weeks ago, that Hybrid Technology were about to publish a couple of discs, one containing a collection of tunes by Pilgrim Beart called Cosmix, and another called Ample Bytes Back by David Reed, I sent off for them. Now at long last I have received them.
There were no printed instructions on how to load the discs but entering *LIST !BOOT revealed all.
1) Start up from your Studio 5000 System Disc
2) Put this disc in the drive
3) Press f9
In other words, the "jukebox" method.

COSMIX by Pilgrim Beart

For your money you will get twelve tunes and approximately 24 minutes of first class entertainment. Starting with the Spacephone, with its random messages, right through to the piece 'Xpach', written 'for Mum and Dad', you will be presented with the most inventive music and programming yet heard in AMPLE. Even the copyright logo is a red pulsar.
Each tune has a message which can be seen by typing 'info'. Some went right over my head. I did not understand what he was trying to say.
The disc is full of effects and instruments that are worth further study. For instance 'drum' in the tune 'Furious'. Study that one in Notepad. Also the fade in 'Cry' - this is carried out by the use of a 'conductor' word.
Two small criticisms. Firstly, the warning to ‘STAND BACK Starting Time-Reversal Module’ became a trifle wearisome. It was only after listing the 'info' word in the Spacephone program that I discovered (rather too late) that pressing SHIFT after dialling the number avoided this.
Secondly, listening to the piece called 'Mixican', I was sure that I had heard the tune before. Eventually I tracked it down to an earlier piece of AMPLE music; I am not going to say what it is familiar to, but I wonder if anyone else has the same feeling about this tune?

AMPLE BYTES BACK by David Reed

This disc contains 16 tunes, of about 39 minutes duration, all of which will be familiar, starting with the Flight of the Bumble Bee, and including ' When I am cleaning windows' by Goerge Formby (yes GOerge).
'Flight' has a very active bee, flying about the stereo stage, and also seems to fly towards, and then away from you.       
I liked the dynamics in Arabesque. Diminuendos and crescendos do not seem to be used as much as they ought, and this piece is a very good example of their use.         
The two discs are completely different, and any comparison would be wrong. If I wanted a good selection of tunes, with good arrangements and instruments, I would pick Ample Bytes Back. But if I wanted original tunes with good arrangements and instruments, then it would be COSMIX. I bought both, and I am very glad I did.
In my opinion at £4.95 each, they represent good value for money and recommend you rush your cheque off immediately. I just hope that you don't have to wait as long as I did.
"In Concert" from the COSMIX album reviewed above is included in this issue in the Music section. This has been provided by Hybrid Technology as a promotional feature.

Published in AMPLINEX 001, September1987