Fyer, Fyer - an English madrigal

by Roy Atkins

Composed by: Thomas Morley

My name is Roy Atkins and I live in Holland. I am the chairman of the British Choir in The Hague, and I use the Music 5000 system as a means for learning choral parts. I enter the various parts and set the voices such that I can play back the piece with any particular part highlighted. In this way the singer can hear his part in its proper context, against the other parts.

Fyer, Fyer is a good example of a popular English madrigal from the late 16th century. The madrigal was a very popular form of polyphonic music of its time. Usually written for from 4 to 8 voices, the parts are all musically complete in their own right, making singing fun for all concerned. These pieces were very popular with singers of the period, and are still popular today with amateur choirs.

This example has been programmed in 5 parts and one by one the top 4 parts, cantus, quintus, altus and tenor are heard in turn in a distinctive voice on the left of the stage. It indicates the way in which the system can be put to use.

Roy Atkins
 

Source: AMPLINEX 002 disk, file $.FYER


Published in AMPLINEX 002, November 1987