Hints and tips

Saving memory via modules

Roger Cawkwell
Further thoughts on saving memory. I usually don't use the full Studio 5000 setup for my own pieces. This means I don't have to install M.MENU. Most of the time I use my own instrument definitions, so no M.INS1 either. If I do decide to use one of the 'presets' it's still more economical on memory to re-define it as a user word.
When modules are INSTALLed by the standard Studio 5000 !BOOT file you can't get rid of them, so this means writing your own !BOOT file, leaving out what you don't need. The savings are quite substantial. When I start up the Studio 5000 using the standard !BOOT file MEM shows that I have 15793 bytes to play with. If I use my own !BOOT file I get 18373! These numbers may be a little different on your machine, depending on what you have on board, but the saving will be similar.

Reading AMPLINEX files

Jeff Parton
The answer to the problem of stepping back a page (or skipping a page) when reading a file (A.intro2 in AMPLINEX 002) is to load the file directly into a word processor. You can then scroll backwards and forwards at will.
When I receive my copy of AMPLINEX, I load each file in turn into View (using an 80-column mode). As I read through each file, a single key press on each paragraph formats the text in 80 columns, and at the end I save the file in its 80-column format on side 2 of the disc, ready for printing when required.

Music 4000/Symphony keyboard stand

Jack Wrigley
Anybody who finds difficulty positioning their music keyboard in a convenient arrangement next to their computer might be interested in the keyboard stand in the current Argos catalogue. I bought one and at £14.99 it suits the Symphony keyboard well.

Function keys in Notepad

Jeff Parton
In case anyone hasn't noticed - when in Notepad, function keys 6 to 9 can be used as in View, i.e.
f6 - insert line
f7 - delete line
f8 - insert character
f9 - delete character
(This also works in AMPLINEX Feedback)

Published in AMPLINEX 005, May 1988