Questions and answers

Answer: Acoustic instruments

In reply to Jeff Parton's query in AMPLINEX 005, one of the better series on this topic I've read in the last six months appeared in Music Technology magazine (August to October 1987). The series covered synthesising acoustic guitar, clarinet and the snare drum. Admittedly, the actual patches supplied were for FM, phase distortion and analogue synthesisers, but the material makes interesting reading.
As for other sources of information, your local university library may be able to help. I know the one I use (the Andersonian at Strathclyde University) has some books on the physics of music which include harmonic spectra.
However, using the current waveforms supplied with the Hybrid Music System, your chances of simulating the instruments realistically are slim, but with some perseverance you should get some reasonable results.
Your other alternative, I suppose, is SoundSculptures' Waveform Designer. Have any AMPLINEX members bought this product? A user report please!
Scott Mackie

Answer: Acoustic instruments

I know of two books containing the harmonic spectra of instruments. These are:
Music Physics and Engineering by Harry F Olson
and
Psychology of Music by Carl E Seashore
Both are published by Dover Books and the original editions were quite old - 1952 and 1938 respectively.
I sent to America for my copies but they are available in the UK from two sources:
IMP, Woodford Trading Estate, Southend Road, Woodford Green, Essex. IG8 8HN
Telephone 01 551 6131
The 1987 catalogue lists the prices as Olson £7.95 and Seashore £6.95.
Music Sales Ltd., Newmarket Road, Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk. IP33 3YB
Telephone 0284 702600
Their catalogue lists the prices as Olson £5.50 and Seashore £4.95 but you should check these too.
The spectrum plots are just a part of the books and someone may well know of another source. One worth checking out - I haven't seen it yet - is
A Synthesist's Guide to Acoustic Instruments by Howard Massey
£14.95 from Music Sales.
Ian Waugh

Question: Grace notes in Staff

Is there any way of putting grace notes into music, via the Staff editor (I nearly always work in this module)?
If not, do I have to add them afterwards in Notepad, and if so, how?
Diccon Maude

Question: Music 2000 Power Supply

I intend to purchase the Music 2000 MIDI interface and I understand that this unit takes it power from the computer. As I have a fully loaded BBC Model B (disc drive/ROM board etc.) I would like to know what voltages and what current this unit requires so that I can buy or build a suitable power supply.
Les Pearce

The Music 2000 MIDI interface consumes 5V at 100mA. This is such a small amount, it would be better to make a power supply for your disc drives if you think your computer's power supply is close to its limits.

Answer: The 'Syncer' waveform

Regarding Jeff Parton's question about the 'Syncer' waveform (AMPLINEX 005):
The 'Syncer' waveform doesn't have a harmonic spectrum because all of its harmonics have a zero volume. Its main use is in modulating other waveforms using synchronization (SYNC - see the Music 5000 User Guide pages 69-70).
The 'Syncer' waveform is placed on the EVEN channel and resets the phase of the ODD channel's waveform each time its own phase passes through zero or the EVEN channel's auxiliary output signal, (sign version of the waveshape, +/-), is negative.
With 'Syncer' on the synchronizing (EVEN) channel the ODD waveform is reset only when the EVEN channel's phase passes zero (effectively after one waveform cycle). By varying the frequency of the modulated channel the point where 'Syncer' restarts the modulated waveform varies dynamically, giving tone changes.
Using waveforms other than 'Syncer' on the modulating (EVEN) channel gives more complex and unpredictable results.
Mark A J Mulders

Question: Broken chords in Staff

Broken chords can be written and will play okay in Notepad yet the '! Bad bar' error appears when playing from the Staff. I am a little confused. Doesn't music entered in the Notepad automatically become written in the Staff also?
Andy Knight

Answer: AMPLE DCT 'split' utility

In reply to Robin Johnson's problem with the Music 4000 'split' utility (AMPLINEX 005), I too could not get it to work - until I read the AMPLINEX feature on the ACT command! This made it obvious that the closing )ACT was missing.
The error lies in the word "split". After
IF(ACT)IF
and before
0 spitch #!
you should insert )ACT. It then works as described.
Bernie Dawson

Answer: Tuning systems in AMPLE

Further to Bob Cornford-Wood's question in AMPLINEX 005:
Alternative tunings are fascinating and I'd be very interested in any work done in this area on the Music 5000 although I suspect a resolution of 192 is not enough for some applications. Quite a few of the new synthesisers have alternate tuning facilities, e.g. the TX81Z - I'm just waiting for someone to write some music for them.
Another area of potential exploration is Micro Tuning - the division of the octave into more (or less) than 12 tones. An American called Easley Blackwood did this the hard way - with a traditional keyboard and old synthesisers - and produced a record of pieces he'd composed by dividing the octave into 13 to 24 intervals. All this in 1980!
The record was produced by himself as far as I can tell although it bears the number E639. The only available source I know is Easley Blackwood himself and the last address I have on him (from 1982) is
The University of Chicago, The Department of Music, 5845 South Ellis Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA.
The price then was $12.
Ian Waugh

The Utilities section of this issue of AMPLINEX contains a program which allows Just Temperament to be used.

Question: Staff editor corruption

After using AMPLINEX, if I want to go back to MAIN, I select 'Exit from AMPLINEX', and when the menu appears, select 'New Program'. If I then want to enter the Staff editor, I select this.
When Staff editor is loaded, almost every symbol is corrupted - the bar line comes out as a 'squiggly line', the treble clef is a mixture of the accidentals and the different note lengths, and the time signatures contain the symbols for triplets(3), duplets(2), and accidentals.
What has happened? I have to press Ctrl-Break or turn the computer off, and load the System disk again. Has anyone else had these problems? It may, of course be the other ROMs in the computer.
Diccon Maude

I have been unable to reproduce the effect you describe. The AMPLINEX control program (A.MPLINEX) is written entirely in AMPLE and should cause no problems. The 'Exit from AMPLINEX' option performs a 'NEW' command and should leave the system as it found it.
I would therefore suspect some other cause - perhaps those ROMs you mention.

Question: Pitch glide via ACT

Since reading about the ACT command I have been wondering if it is possible to use this to get pitch glides from note to note whilst playing the Music 4000 keyboard (as opposed to programming in such effects using Slide).
Presumably this would mean keeping track of the previous note, comparing it with the new one, working out the difference and using ACT to glide to the new note, all the time checking to see if another new note has been struck! That's all very well in theory, as they say, but I don't know how to program it even if it is possible.
Bernie Dawson

Question: Booting the Music 4000

My Music 4000 disc is marked 40/80 track yet I can only get it to boot with my disc drive switched to 40-track. This is annoying because my AMPLINEX disc is 80-track and only having a single disc drive I am constantly readjusting the 40/80 track switch. I there something I can do or do I have to fork out for dual drive?
Andy Knight

Question: The RUN command

I have written some pieces on the Music 4000/5000 system, and saved them, but I cannot get them to run with the RUN command. Perhaps, as it is the name of the piece it should have a certain format? Any answers?
Peter Gray

Every music program should have a word called 'RUN' which contains at least the
"1..." PLAY
command to start the music. This is the word which is used by the 'RUN' option on the Main menu. Looking at your music contributions, you seem to be using the title of the piece instead of the word 'RUN' and this is why you can't use menu option. Look at pages 77-78 of the Music 5000 User Guide for more details.

Editor's note:
Due to the large response to the question in AMPLINEX 005 by Bob Cornford-Wood about the Opus Challenger disc system, there is a separate article in the Features section of this issue.
The comments following some of the questions above are only my opinions on the subject and should not be taken as definitive answers.
Your comments are most welcome on any of the questions posed, whether they supplement, confirm or correct any I have expressed.

Published in AMPLINEX 006, July 1988