Holding Back the Years

by Ben Davies

Composed by: Hucknall & Moss

Hello! My name is Ben Davies, I'm 14 years old and I'm from Stockport, just south of Manchester. I got my BBC Micro at Christmas 1984, and since then I have added a disk drive, modem, printer, and of course, Music 5000 to my system. I am a member of Prestel so if any of you ever want to contact me via the Prestel network my mailbox number is 614832504.

Some months ago, I bought the musical score to 'Holding Back The Years', but until now I have never got round to actually programming it. Anyway, now I have taken the time to encode it into AMPLE, I am very pleased with the result. I think the piece sounds quite 'soothing' if the leading part is omitted, so make sure you give that a try!

I have used a couple of interesting instruments in this piece. Firstly, 'mysyn', which is a variation on the 'digisyn' instrument in the User Guide. Like most instruments, I came across it by 'fiddling' with the waveforms and envelopes. The other original instrument is 'echosnare', which is simply the 'snare' instrument in the User Guide with 'Short' altered to 'Echohit'.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy listening to and improving 'Holding Back the Years' and I hope that the thought, "Hmmm, not bad for a 14-year old", crosses your mind at some stage!

Ben Davies (aged 14)
 

Source: AMPLINEX 009 disk, file $.YEARS


Published in AMPLINEX 009, January 1989