News and reviews

We were hoping to include a review of the new Music 5000 Junior from Hybrid Technology in this issue of AMPLINEX. However, as a result of a move to new premises, the release of this product has been delayed and a new release date has yet to be announced. As soon as it is released we will, of course, include a review in AMPLINEX.
Hybrid's move will be completed on 10th April after which their address will be:
Hybrid Technology Ltd.
273 The Science Park
CAMBRIDGE
CB4 4WE
and their telephone number will be (0223) 420360.

AMPLE, MIDI and the D110

Roger Cawkwell
Since my previous report on the Music 2000 (News and Reviews, AMPLINEX 008) I have become the proud owner of a Roland D110 (similar to the MT32). I can only echo the praises for the MT32 expressed in the article in AMPLINEX 008 and I must confess that since Christmas I've only hooked up the Music 5000 in order to read AMPLINEX!
Unlike the MT32 the D110 is readily programmable from the front panel and, having had previous experience in sound synthesis, I was able to adapt presets, and write new voices with relative ease. Using system exclusive information contained in the manual I have been able to edit sounds from AMPLE (this does not mean that I have written a user friendly voice editor!) so that each piece I write can have custom-tweaked voices, pans, balances, etc.
The system exclusive stuff was pretty hard going - I sat up in bed reading the manual until the early hours for quite a few days until I cracked the code - but I will pass on the fruits of my labours in an article in a future issue along with a few simple routines.
For those who don't want to bother with all that (yet!) I can still thoroughly recommend the D110 for its 'off the peg' sounds. P.S. Ask around; I got mine (by legal means) for under five hundred quid.

Further news from Roger Cawkwell: Boosey & Hawkes have recently published a composition of his for saxophones and rhythm section, entitled 'Saxtracks', which includes a version of his piece 'New Choros' which appeared in the Music section of AMPLINEX 003. A feature of the publication is a cassette recording of the rhythm section parts produced entirely from his Music 5000 with only a touch of reverberation added in the studio.

Published in AMPLINEX 010, March 1989