Questions and answers

Question: Keys of tuned instruments

I have a piece of music which is arranged for an orchestra. It has eight parts, which is ideal for the Music 5000 system, but I have a problem. Each part has a different key signature at the start of it. I suspect this is because of the differently-tuned instruments - for instance, it has a B flat trombone, and an E flat tenor horn.
How do I harmonize these parts together? I would really like to transcribe this piece but at the moment I've hit a brick wall. Can somebody help me, please!
Andrew Smith

Answer: Part-bars in Staff editor

In reply to the question from Vincent Fojut in AMPLINEX 010, the technique that I use to enter notes in part-bars is to precede the notes in the incomplete bar with sufficient back holds (\), enter the notes concerned, but then not enter the next bar-line. The effect of this is to move back in music time sufficiently for the pick-up notes of the incomplete bar to fit within the time to be allocated to the next complete bar.
This technique is also explained, though not with reference to bar-lines, in the AMPLE Nucleus Programmer Guide, page 115.
In the Staff editor the back hold, \, needs to be entered above the staff, as explained on page 34 of the Music 5000 User Guide.
The following definition was made from a short piece entered in the Staff editor:
"FromMeToYou" [%STAFF
SCORE K(-B)K 48, 4BAR \
0: 24, FGAgf/GG// | 48,d//^ | 0,^]
Playing such a part word in isolation may not be entirely successful (the system gets a bit confused if it has to start in negative time), but in the context of a larger piece, or after an initial dummy rest bar, or playing from the Staff editor, the effect is exactly as desired.
Tony Walduck

Question: Use of RAMROM board

Has any other AMPLINEX member got a RAMROM board and managed to use it with AMPLE to get more memory? As the documentation that came with it is so poor, I haven't got a clue on how to use it for Sideways RAM.
Diccon Maude

Answer: MIDI implementation charts

If Taj Letocha (AMPLINEX 010) is having problems with MIDI implementation charts he may care to look at an article I wrote for the March 1988 issue of Keyboard Player magazine on just that subject. I noticed that although there are several good books on MIDI, none gave a beginner's guide to MIDI implementation charts.
My article is not definitive (it doesn't cover some of the Mode 3 implementations of modern expanders, for example) but it does give a good introduction to the subject - if I say so myself!
Ian Waugh

Question: Linking two Hybrid systems

I was interested in the comment made in AMPLINEX 010 (F.SurvA88) about linking two Hybrid Music Systems. Can anyone give practical advice about this? I presume it would involve using the MIDIRT command and the MIDI IN socket.
Jim Redfarn

Your question might just have been answered by the Music 3000 released by Hybrid (see News and Reviews, this issue).

Question: Acoustic guitar instrument

I am having some trouble making an instrument which sounds at least vaguely like an acoustic guitar, so I would be grateful if someone knows of a suitable definition, or can point me in the right direction. I've tried amending Elguit, Slapbass and harpsichord words, but I don't know how to make the required changes.
Peter Miller
Please, has anyone got an acoustic guitar instrument? The closest that I have got is a sort of banjo type sound.
Diccon Maude

Answer: Drum rhythm

In AMPLINEX 010 Neil Walker asked for help with drum rhythms used in rock and jazz music. The paperback "Teach Yourself Rock Drums" by Mike Finkelstein (Amsco Publications, Order No. 25180, UK ISBN 0.7119.0222.4 from Music Sales Ltd, 78 Newman Street, London. W1P 3LA) should prove at least partly useful reading.
Covering most types of rock music and jazz funk, it gives numerous examples in staff notation of the 'grooves' created by many famous drummers up to 1979. Everything from a 'Paradiddle' to a 'Nine Stroke Roll' are ready to be tried out in the Staff editor. No 'Flam'!
Jack Wrigley

Question: Registration slips

When I upgraded my Music 500 to a Music 5000, I had to complete a registration slip. This, I was told, would keep me up-to-date on new developments of the Hybrid Music System, new music discs, etc.
It is now several months since I sent off that slip, but I have heard nothing. Is this something that other AMPLE users have found, or has my registration gone astray?
Peter Wright

Answer: Aries B32 problems

In reply to the question by Jack Wrigley in AMPLINEX 010 - with the Aries B32, typing *XON 20 A sets up 20K of Shadow RAM, but sets the B32 workspace area to page A, i.e. at &A00-&AFF (see B32 manual, page 35).
However, the memory map of the AMPLE system (Music 5000 User Guide, page 90) shows that the Staff editor buffer is at &900-&AFF. This is obviously a recipe for disaster!
I use *XON 20 13, choosing to use page 13 for the workspace. This means that I have to allow one page of user memory for the B32 workspace, but at least this arrangement is safe. In addition, I have to change one byte in the file C.PREPARE for the initial memory recovery technique to work.
In Studio 5000 (Release 6) byte &3E needs changing from &13 to &14; in Studio 5000-4 (Release 2) byte &52 needs changing from &13 to &14. The byte to change is possibly the same in other releases. This aspect of the use of Shadow RAM in AMPLE has been mentioned in earlier issues of AMPLINEX.
Tony Walduck

We understand that Hybrid Technology will be using a revised version of the C.PREPARE file in future software releases. Therefore, members following instructions which involve altering this file based on the addresses of specific bytes should try to ensure that the instructions apply to their version. I all cases you should work on a backup copy of your system disc, just in case.

Question: 40-track twin-disc users

For 40-track disc users, who receive AMPLINEX split over two discs, is it not possible to have the menu for the music files on the same disc or side of the disc as the music files themselves? This would save much disc swapping or drive changing when all we want to do is listen to the music!
Jack Wrigley

Because we try to put as much as possible on each AMPLINEX disc there is normally only just enough room for the AMPLINEX control program to be stored once. In addition, there would be extra work involved in preparing two versions of the program for the minority of 40-track disc users.
However, we are aware of the inconvenience of the split-disc arrangement and if any member can suggest a simple means of allowing 40-track disc users (single and dual drive) to select files from two discs more easily, we would be only two willing to use it.

Editor's note:
The comments following some of the questions above are only my opinions on the subject and should not be taken as definitive answers.
Your comments are most welcome on any of the questions posed, whether they supplement, confirm or correct any I have expressed.

Published in AMPLINEX 011, May 1989