Walk of Life

by Aiden Black

Composed by: Dire Straits

I wrote this program to see how close I could get it to the original. The problem is that Dire Straits being the musicians they are, there are so many backing instruments you need a 500-track synthesiser to get them all in. Unfortunately, I do not own such a box, so had to make do with 16. Even so, I don't think I did badly considering it was written in an afternoon.

The mix itself is fairly boring; the program uses one basic mix and the voices change themselves for the verses. I used a small 'mix2' to get back to the original 'intro' mix. If you are lucky, the drum's 'PAN' knob will do a dance in the Mixing Desk! I did this to see how much I could get happening without the program jumping. It also livens up the drum rhythm a bit which is awfully dull.

APB
 

Source: AMPLINEX 013 disk, file $.WALKLIF


Published in AMPLINEX 013, September 1989