The Battle

by Andy Knight

I programmed this piece in record time - "Sounds like it", you might say - but I am quite pleased with it. The method used was as follows.

On returning from the pub on Sunday night I hooked up my Tascam Porta 2 multitrack recorder to the Music 4000 and in a part-drunken haze started laying down tracks for about an hour. It is a bit archaic compared to composing by computer, but it's much more spontaneous.

I awoke next morning with the chords still ringing in my ears - or was it the beer? Having a heavy cold it was just the excuse I needed to miss work.

Using the Recorder meant no music notation and few written notes, and it was completed by about 1.00pm.

I called it "The Battle" because it made me think of an army fighting relentlessly against the odds, and anyway, thinking up a better title could take days. I want to move on to my next tune.

Hope you like it.

Regards,

Andy Knight (AMPLEholic)

ps I recorded this piece on to my Portastudio and added 4 more voices in the form of a jarre4 plus 3 more as flute. The resulting sound is more than fair. But you will have to take my word for that... Oh, if only the Music 5000 had more than eight voices.
 

Source: AMPLINEX 015 disk, file $.BATTLE


Published in AMPLINEX 015, January 1990