Hints and tips

AMPLE in the press

Jim Redfarn
In the Hints and Tips section of AMPLINEX 009, there was a request to send in details of any published articles about AMPLE and/or the Hybrid Music System. I submit two that may have not been picked up. Both were written by Ian Waugh.
The first was published in February of last year in the Keyboard Player. It is entitled 'The Micro and Music' and is an excellent morale-boosting description of the Hybrid Music System.
The second was published in the BEEBUG magazine for April 1990. It is called 'Music Programming in AMPLE' and is the first of a series of articles, to be published in succeeding months. As always with articles by Ian Waugh, it is clearly written, with lots of useful ideas.

The use of the Slide command

Alan Minns
I believe that previous discussions of the Slide command rather missed the essential points of the facility.
1) An =L value before the ON Slide fixes the dynamic level which is sustained throughout the slide (and after).
2) An =L value after the ON Slide fixes the pitch offset for the start of the slide.
3) If no pitch offset is defined, the existing value of dynamic level is used, which by default means that the slide starts at a tenth interval above the starting note!

Problems with the FX1A module

Richard Bettis
For a while now I've been noticing odd quirks in my system when I play some of the AMPLINEX tunes. Recent examples are 'In The Night' from AMPLINEX 014 and 'The Last Patrol' from AMPLINEX 015. Both of these crashed with a 'Too many voices' error before starting to play (see Questions and Answers in AMPLINEX 016). By chance I was using my original Music 5000 system disc and decided to sort out one of these pieces - and it ran perfectly!
I traced the problem to different versions of the FX1A module, which contains the PLAY word. Using MCAT, I found that my normal system had version 1.0 and the original had version 0.6. I replaced the newer version on my !BOOT disk, and have had no problems since.
I thought the purpose of updates was usually to REMOVE bugs?

Published in AMPLINEX 017, May 1990