Questions and answers

Question: Timing

I am married, and my wife Vera helps me to decide what sounds good as far as voices go when arranging pieces of music. However, my mother visits us now and then and has taken an avid interest in the 'synths'. Until about two months ago, mum said that the music I arranged sounded mechanical, but after spending a few hours with me and my trusty Music 5000 and 3000, she came up with the answer - variation of timing on each 'phrase' of music.
So, bearing in mind what she told me, I proceeded to alter the timing of phrases. I found the difference to be very pleasing. She also said that every time she plays a piece at home, it is different (owing to timing variations) which led me to think about a random capability. This is where I came unstuck.
I looked up the 'RAND' instructions, and was able to create random timing - but I could not find the method for adding (or subtracting) just a couple of digits per bar. For instance, if you have a 'mix' timing of, say, 100 I would like to give the choice of either adding or subtracting a random figure of between 1 and 3 from the principle figure of 100 then at the start of the next phrase of music have the same random figure of 1 to 3 either added or subtracted from the result of the last equation. Oh, and have a top and bottom limit of, say, 86 and 116.
Can anyone help? Incidentally, I would like to thank all the members who send in Hints and Tips and such things - they have helped me to gain as much pleasure from the system as I do at this time.
Don Buckley

Answer: Santa Barbara Cruisin' (1)

Andy Knight asks a question (in the 'help' word of his 'Santa Barbara Cruisin'' piece in AMPLINEX 027) about a pause during play. I expect he's found it by now, but in case not I have a cure. The pause is at 4f in the PLAY word, not at 3g. To get rid of it, go to part1e, find the two occurrences of '^(^)' (half-way down and at the end), and change them both to '0,^(^)'.
It's a nice piece! And I liked it more after all the replaying and searching, and that can't be bad.
Ted Kirk

Answer: Santa Barbara Cruisin' (2)

I've found the answer to Andy Knight's problem mentioned in AMPLINEX 027. It concerns a pause during play of 'Santa Barbara Cruisin'' when moving from one section to the next near the end of the piece.
There are two errors in part1e. The first on line 10 where there's an extra beat - it should read
+g(C)/// g(+A)//// ^(^)
and the second is the bottom line which should be
0,^(^)
I discovered these by hearing parts 1 and 2 together and hearing them go out of step in part e.
Tim Sketchley

Question: Manual explanation

Does anybody understand the paragraph on notation for spare structures on page 27 of the Music 4000 manual? This is using part8 as a master player without voices and uses / to mark the passage of time.
David J Barton

Question: Music expression

I am not awfully clever at composing original pieces of music, but I gain a lot of pleasure from transposing sheet music into AMPLE format. I spend hours, no, days messing with different voices to get the Music 5000 and 3000 'singing' my new arrangements. However, I always come a little unstuck when trying to deal with such things as appassionato, crit, con moto, dolce etc.
I was advised to look up the expressions down at the library, but could not find a 'music dictionary' that could explain what I am after. Is there any AMPLINEX member who has this knowledge? I would be grateful for it.
Don L R Buckley

Answer: 'Volga Boatman'

In AMPLINEX 027, Bryan Anslow asked about apparent 'rubbish' in the middle of the music file of 'Volga Boatman' from AMPLINEX 025.
If this file is LOADed in the normal way, and the SHOW command issued, then you can see that instead of 'no data', there is TXT data instead.
This would probably have originated from the use of the Text Editor from the AMPLE Toolbox - if you have this, type "TEDIT" MLOAD, followed by TEDIT, and you can see the contents of this editor, in this case an earlier version of the 'blurb' word.
The original file had been saved without the editor having been CLEARed, resulting in wasted disc space.
Even without the Toolbox editor, it is possible to remove this 'rubbish' just by issuing the CLEAR command, with the Main Menu screen active.
'Clearing public data' (in Hints and Tips AMPLINEX 020) had more information about this and a warning about wasting space when using the Image Editor, IEDIT.
Tony Walduck

Question: Music 5000/3000 switch

After loading Ian Hubbard's 'Chariots Of Fire' (AMPLINEX 026), I noticed 'Music 5000 mix' displayed on the title page. So, after playing it, I then loaded my Music 3000 system, and re-loaded the file. It then came up with 'Music 3000 mix', and played the Music 3000 version. I have bought the AMPLE Toolbox from Hybrid, but am unable to find how the system sensing works. Would Mr Hubbard like to share the knowledge of his Music 5000/3000 sensing switch please?
Don L R Buckley

Question: Instrumentals

Has anyone found any good books of instrumental hits from the past? The only one I have seen so far is 'Great Hits of the Shadows'. This has such hits as 'Albatross'! A great tune but not a hit for the Shadows I think. It does not have 'Apache' or 'Wonderful Land', which seem serious omissions. I would love to hear AMPLE versions of 'Pipeline', 'Wipeout', 'Rebel Rouser', 'Peter Gunn' and, if anyone can make a good set of drum/cymbal sounds, 'Let there be drums', which is an all-time favourite of mine.
Also, is it possible to make the music I enter from simple keyboard books sound better? I suppose what I want is a book with arrangements for more than one instrument. Are they easy to follow for someone who knows very little about music?
David J Barton

Question: Music 2000 and MIDI files

Have any members ever managed to transfer their AMPLE files to other systems (and computers)? I presume this is only possible via a Music 2000 equipped system using MIDI files. What are the limitations and is it possible to go the other way and import non-AMPLE music into a Music 2000?
Jack Wrigley

Question: AMPLE module initialisation

Is it possible to initialise the Sideways RAM image of AMPLE modules found on a back issue disc without pressing Ctrl+Break? I have tried a program from Micro User without success. It shows the ROM images installed but on calling the Mixing Desk or Notepad it still tries to load from disc. I would like to be able to build a !BOOT file to setup the modules from scratch. Pressing Ctrl+Break does work and modules are loaded from Sideways RAM.
David J Barton

Published in AMPLINEX 028, September 1992